J. Andrew Parr, M.D.
Minimally invasive total hip and knee surgery, alternative bearing surfaces and complex revision hip and knee replacement.
Outcomes studies regarding THA, a comprehensive atlas of hip and knee prostheses and an algorithm to assist in identifying implants from x-ray images, as well as a basic science interest in the bone-implant interface and the remodeling rates of bone surrounding well fixed stems, and osteolysis around total joints.
Board Certified (Part I passed 7/2003, Part II passed 9/2006)
MD: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
Residency: Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio
Fellowship: Total Joint, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center , Chicago, Illinois.
Dr. Parr is the author of several journal articles.
Current Academic Appointments:
2004 - Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Parr JA , Light A. "A Sensitive, Direct HPLC Assay for Chymotrypsin and Trypsin", Abstract in Techniques in Protein Chemistry II ed. Villafranca, J.J. 1991 from the Fourth Annual Meeting of the Protein Society, 1990, San Diego.
- Garetto LP, Chen J, Parr JA , Roberts WE. Remodeling dynamics of bone supporting rigidly fixed titanium implants: A histomorphometric comparison in four species including humans, Implant Dent. 1995;4:235-43. Recipient of Ralph V. McKinney, Jr. Award
- Parr JA , Young T, Dunn-Jena P, Garetto LP. Histomorphometrical analysis of the bone-implant interface: comparison of microradiography and brightfield microscopy. Biomaterials. 1996;17:1921-26.
- Parr JA, Garetto LP, Wohlford ME, Arbuckle GR, Roberts WE. Sutural expansion using rigidly integrated endosseous implants: An experimental study in rabbits . Angle Orthod. 1997;67:283-90.
- Parr JA, Garetto LP, Wohlford ME, Arbuckle GR, Roberts WE. Implant-borne suture expansion in rabbits: A histomorphometric study of the supporting bone. J Biomed Mater Res. 1999;45:1-10.
- Parr JA, Garetto LP, Katona TR, Roberts WE. A minimally destructive method for mechanical evaluation of the bone-implant interface. In preparation.
- Parr JA, Garetto LP, Katona TR, Roberts WE. A direct correlation of histomorphometry with the mechanical strength of the bone-implant interface using a minimally destructive mechanical test. In preparation
- Buckwalter KA, Parr JA, Choplin RH, Capello WN. Multichannel CT Imaging of Orthopedic Hardware and Implants. Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2006;10(1):86-97
- Meldrum RD, Maiers GP, Feinberg JR, Parr JA, Capello WN, Park JA. Long-term outcome of surface replacement with comparison to an age- and time-matched primary total hip arthroplasty cohort. J Arthroplasty. 2008;23(1):1-9
- Munger S, Boustani M, Parr JA. The effectiveness of donepezil in preventing delirium and postoperative cognitive decline following orthopaedic surgery. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008;56(4) Suppl 1:S32
- Munger S, Boustani M, Parr JA. The feasibility and barriers to enrolling hip fracture patients in a delirium study: B36. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008;56(4) Suppl 1:S76-S77
- Roth TD, Maertz NA, Parr JA, Buckwalter KA, Choplin RH. CT of the hip prosthesis: appearance of componenets, fixation, and complications. Radiographics July 2012, 32: 1089-1107